Monday 10 May 2010

The Dual

I said I'd explain about the dual some time ago, but I totally forgot. Therefore, here it is.

Form

- υc
- ουc
- ευ
- αc

Use

The dual is used for pairs, thus not just for any 2 items. A good example is οπυc (eyes / a pair of eyes), e.g. αнтрωπec οπευ ειδεc, "humans look with their eyes" (lit: humans with-pair-of-eyes look).
Other examples are other body (ακeυc, 'a pair of ears') or φeᴧυc, 'a pair of lovers/partners.
(It would be nonsense to say αмβрυc, 'a pair of apples', or δцοc οπυc, 'a pair of two eyes'.)

2 comments:

  1. I like the Dual, and usually it is not correctly used. Your notes on its usage are very good, not just any pair, but natural pairs. I would like to see more of the language with my own οπυc :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it. :P

    I'll keep adding stuff, but I have to work it out first.

    (Thanks for the comment(s).)

    ReplyDelete