Tuesday 6 July 2010

Aᴧδαιн (to stop, to end)

Єυтιε Καтαᴧυ!

Here's a picture of Streepje looking at me because I actually interrupted her afternoon cleaning session just so I could take a picture. The weather is great, lately, around 28 degrees at some point. Funny how both the cats and I are sleeping all morning. Then again, my cats do little but sleep, I don't think the weather changes much more than the place they sleep.


Cтрeπα ἱφтοрειнεн eεнαᴧδι e eιδι мε нοιмωнтιοн.

Strepa clean.inf.acc pause.pst and look.pst I.acc all.prt.m.acc.
Streepje stopped cleaning and looked at me, after I called her name.

The sentence shows the 600th Lurion dictionary entry, which is a simple combination of the adjective ἱφтιι (clean) and the causal infix -οр-, turned into a verb. Also it features the word нοιмαιн (to call), obviously derived from нοιмυ (name) - which, strangely, wasn't even in the list yet.

Furthermore, the word εнαᴧδειн (to pause) comes from εн (in) + αᴧδαιн (to end). Other derived verbs from αᴧδαιн are αᴧδοрειн (to stop (transitive)), εнαᴧδοрειн (to interrupt) and εнαᴧδιδειн (to break up, to stammer, to lag). I can't quite find the word for the latter, which is formed by adding the repetitional infix -ιδ-, thus meaning "to pause repeatedly".

And the cat sleeping in last weeks third καтαᴧυ picture was in fact Streepje.

1 comment:

  1. I contend I didn't have enough information to go on. Either way, Streepje's a marvelous cat!

    ReplyDelete