Tuesday 13 July 2010

Kalfsvleeskroketten

Єυтιε Καтαᴧυ!

Today, I will show you a picture of a box of "kalfsvleeskroketten". I have absolutely no idea why Streepje would jam herself into such a small box, let alone enjoy it.

"Ουнα, мεнω нε φαιнрιε παнxрιнтε; цαтαυн?"

No, be.1sg not meat.adj.n food.dim; why?
"No, I am not a meaty snack; why?"

There isn't much to say about this sentence. I had no clue how to translate φαιнрιε. But neither does she really have a clue how ridiculous she looks.

And now, because Streepje has featured far more in Katalu than Noortje: a bonus picture. Completely free! In this picture, she's looking at the bees hovering around in my backyard. Isn't that one of the cutest things you've ever seen?

3 comments:

  1. I saw the word "kalfsvleeskroketten" and assumed that it was the conword. What on Earth does it mean, and what's its morphological breakdown? I'm guessing it's some sort of cow croquette, but the "vlees" has me vlummoxed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, 'kalfsvleeskroketten' was not the conword, it's just Dutch. It was on the box Streepje was in.

    It is 'kalfsvlees' + 'kroketten'. 'Kroketten' are indeed croquettes, and 'kalfsvlees' is 'kalfs' + 'vlees' (flesh, meat): veal.

    I actually should have translated the sentence as:

    Noes, Iz not meetee snecks, srsly; wai?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol

    You know the second you broke it down into "kalfsvlees", I got it. I took German for a year, but still, the Germanic languages are so foreign to me!

    ReplyDelete