Tuesday 29 June 2010

Καтαᴧυ

Following in the footsteps of David J. Peterson, whom I deeply respect, I will post cat related words, sentences and photos of my two cute cats (Noortje and Streepje) every tuesday! This will help increase my vocab, as well as allow me to keep posting on a consistent basis.

Єυтιε Καтαᴧυ!

Καтαᴧυ is a combination of καтιc ("cat") and -αᴧυ, the suffix meaning "-day" (from καᴧυ). Coincidentally, it is also a slight anagram of ακтαᴧυ, the word for the second day of a week, or "tuesday", named after the God of War, Aκтοр. Furthermore, he is the god of felines.

And now, for some introduction:

My cats are named Noortje and Streepje, or Нοртα Cтрeπακε, they are around 10 years old, enjoy being petted, love being fed and spend whole days sleeping on beds, in gardens or in baskets of freshly washed clothing.

On here you see Streepje, named after his many stripes (I guess), relaxing in a small sunlit part of our back garden.
And here is her sister, Noortje (supposedly named when Sweden was playing football, but I was 5 or 6 at the time, so I can not verify that). Isn't she cute? She's just about to sprint to the kitchen, having smelled my father opening a package of minced meat. I think they are secretly spoiled by my mother when she's cooking.
Oh, and if you're thinking that they look so much a like, I can tell them apart perfectly well. Not only by the little stripe/speck next to the nose that Noortje has and Streepje hasn't (ironic, eh?). I can tell by looking only at their tail, their hair, their meowing, the way they move etc. On top of that, one can ofcourse tell by their completely different characters. Noortje is quite shy, whereas Streepje will just pounce your lap and demands you to sit still, being utterly surprised when you actually move for something as trivial as sipping your tea. How rude some guests can be.

And know, a test! Which one is sleeping (or pretending to sleep, as another photograph taken moments later reveals) contentfully in this picture?

4 comments:

  1. I am completely flummoxed. I looked at that third picture and thought for certain that it was Streepje. But now I can't find any feature in the third picture that distinguishes it from Noortje... In the third picture, the cat is covering up her feet and her face—there's nothing to tell them apart! However, my final answer is Noortje.

    A splendid addition to the world of cats on the web! I really like the picture of Streepje (assuming, as I am, that there's only one). I also approve of Aκтοр being the god of war and cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're liking it. And I won't spoil the mystery, you'll probably have to wait till next tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grrr... Fine, I can wait. I request a close-up shot of Streepje, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, fooled you there! It actually *was* Streepje.

    ReplyDelete