Wednesday 23 June 2010

Lurion's 500th word: ποιεтαυ (poem)

Yay! Λυрιοнεcκι now has over 500 items in my dictionary!

The 500th word (although adding and/or removing words might change its location) is ποιεтαυ meaning 'poem'. It is derived from the verb ποιειн (to do, to make, to rhyme, to write poetry), as are the words ποιειнυ (poetry) and ποιιc (poet), numbers 501 and 502 respectively. Ποιεтαυ is a pretty straight forward word, created by adding the passive infix -εтα- and a neutral suffix -υ, although there is no -οнт- marking the substantivation.
The word for poetry is simply its infinitive with a neutral suffix, and ποιιc has a general (animate) suffix, again without a participle-marker.

I should be translating more than I am at the moment. Maybe I should be doing a 'Word of the Day'-thing as well, or at least post W.o.I.'s more often.

I like the diphthong -αυ (from -α- + -υ) as a suffix, it also occurs in нαυ (boat), тυрαυ (government) and мαυ (game). The latter is one of my favorite words. Maybe that's because it's related to my favorite god, Mαο. And ofcourse it's the sound my cats make all the time.

Mèèèau. Mau! Mau? Prrrr...

No comments:

Post a Comment